Tuesday, May 4, 2010

1 Mile

  I just got done running one mile. I don't know when the last time I ran one mile just to run one mile was. I have played some basketball where I may have covered a whole mile of running, but then again I was playing basketball. I have used the elliptical for a mile, but that is way easier than actual running. I inline skated a mile or biked a mile, but I can't count those since they have wheels.
  I have been doing some regular working out for the past few months and doing some good getting in shape. I was never really a big runner, but I had to run in all the sports that I played so I used to be able to run fairly well (not breaking any records or anything). I even had to run in track and field when my area of expertise was in the field throwing shot and discus. Somewhere along the line I heard May was national runners' month, I think Dick's Sporting goods may have invented it to sell shoes, but hey it got me motivated to do some running. I decided that I was going to run everyday in the month of May. Well on day two that was foiled by the flu, I wanted to run but I don't think I would have made it very far. I am not going to let that stop me from doing it the rest of the month. I started the journey on Saturday with a run around my block, which according to google maps is .61 miles. So far in four days I have logged 2.22 miles. Yesterday I ran my block again even though it was raining, I'm such a trooper. Today I took it inside to the health center indoor track and ran nine laps, which is one mile. Nine laps on the indoor track seemed so long just last week, but when I compared it to once around my block it didn't seem so far.
  Tomorrow I have a basketball game so I am not quite sure how long of a distance I should run. I don't want to count the game as my running since it isn't running just to run. We will have to see how the game goes to decide.

7 comments:

  1. I'm proud of you. I think you're nuts - I've never understood running - but I think you're doing a good thing. I'm even slightly motivated to run a bit myself. I think I could make it to, say, John and Liz's house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for running!

    Let me tell you - I don't consider myself a "runner." I'm not built like one, and I'm pretty darn slow compared to real runners. At the beginning, I could go about 1/2 mile before I was dead tired and hurting. It took months, but eventually, I got to the point where I could run a couple miles pretty comfortably. After that, building distance seemed a lot easier. I did a half marathon last year and I've slacked since then, but I'm back to doing 3 mile runs, 4-5 times a week and it feels great!

    So, stick with it! You'll get better!

    Oh, also - I'm a HUGE fan of Nike +. It's awesome to keep track of your distance, time, pace and to track progress. It helped me a ton when I first started. If you haven't already, check it out. http://www.apple.com/ipod/nike/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Amber, and Sarah. I was a little shocked how easy the first mile came to me in such a short time. Not worried about multiple miles just yet I just started.

    Nike has never had the best shoe for me they run small and I wear a size 13 so 14s aren't always the easiest to find. I have always liked the Asics but I don't think they make any fancy ones. Maybe I will try out some Nike+, I will have to get an iPod then I guess.

    I think I decided that basketball is going to be my running for the day today. We played two games and I thought we were only in for one. Also did a good ab workout afterward. I think I will be sore enough later without the run, don't want to hurt myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is AWESOME! I eventually would like to get to the point where I can do some sort of marathon. It is on my Bucket List, under "Things only crazy people do". I have SUCH a long way to go, but you have to start somewhere, no.....and a mile is a fantastic start!

    When I played basketball I had to run the same as the point guards (ugh) and when I threw shot we had to run a few miles at practice each week. I LOATHED it. Even when I was in shape I found 0% joy in running, but it really is good for you. Keep it up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. The picture of Homer cracked me up. That is how I think I feel (and look except with longer hair) when I run! AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A---LOL, you are very funny...john and liz's house.
    B---You rock. Setting a good example for the little one...maybe you should get a jogging stroller at a garage sale. Who says a one child doesn't need 3 strollers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh! You can put the receiver thingie from Nike + on any shoe, you just need this thing: http://www.amazon.com/dermaSHOT-Silicone-Case-Sport-Adapter/dp/B0035H1P4U.

    Anywho, good luck to ya!

    ReplyDelete