Monday, January 3, 2011

Hello 2011!

The holidays have passed and it is now back to the daily grind.  I definitely enjoyed the couple weeks I had off of work.  Lots of time with the family.  Mom came for Christmas, youngest Brother and his family came for the new year kickoff. I am not really excited about getting the little man back into the work/child care routine again.  This morning wasn't bad but I am not anticipating a good night, lots of grumpiness.  Well it was fun while it lasted.

This year I have decided to make a resolution.  I don't need to make a weight loss one since 2010 was so good for that.  I am going to continue working out and eating well to stay healthy. No reason to put all the weight back on, that would just be silly.  My resolution is for the mind, I am going to read more books.  Not anything deep and intellectual just fantasy and fiction novels.  It may sound silly but I haven't been reading that much since little b was born and I want to get back into it.

Back in grade school I didn't like reading that much until my dad gave me the fantasy series The Belgariad by David Eddings after that I was hooked to the fantasy world.  I would stay up late at night reading by the light of my night stand, thinking one more chapter before I go to sleep.  If I read actual school books as much as I read fantasy I would have probably been a honor student, but who wants to read that crap?  I have since read many different genres and liked many of the books I have read, but I always comeback to the fantasy and science fiction.

I have been reading one particular series for two decades now, The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan, the 13th book just came out last November.  The series did hit a huge bump in the road when Jordan got seriously ill and passed away, but while he was ill he took notes and talked to his wife about how he wanted to end the series. His family picked someone to finish the series in his vision.  Brandon Sanderson was chosen, after he was picked I read his novels and thought the pick was good.  The first of the three Sanderson is writing to finish the series was great, and I am looking forward to the next two.

A couple summers ago I bought a box of books at a garage sale.  About forty-six books for under twenty bucks.  I have only read a few of them so far.  For some reason I have read more that I bought since then than books from that box.  This year my resolution is to make a dent in that box of books, and a few other books on my shelf that I own but have not read yet.  Little b's love for his Elmo books and Llama books is awesome and I want to read some of mine too.  Reading clears the mind and is relaxing, I love it.

1 comment:

  1. OMG! Is that actually one of my sons making that final statement. You go B.

    ReplyDelete